![]() |
| Baldy from the top of GMR |
![]() |
| Crystal Lake bowl from Newman's Point |
![]() |
| Baldy from Newman's Point |
Started off the ride with Fred, who was off due to the death of Gina's father. Got the whole story on how life was going with the two of them, having to go through all that is involved with that. Fred took off at the bottom to try and get a good time in for a segment of the ride that is measured on Strava. When I finally caught up with him, he was off his bike and resting on the wall on the side of the road. I should have known something was wrong right then, but I kept on riding, KNOWING that he would pass me in a few minutes. Well, the minutes passed, and passed, and no Fred. But I knew he would catch me like I was standing still, so I kept on going. Passed the saddle at the half way point, past Newman's Point, past the downhill section and the climb after it, and finally got to the shed, and still no Fred. He had mentioned something about a new chain when we started, so I figured he either broke it or had a flat tire. Things being so, I stayed at the top only long enough to put some warmer clothes on and I headed down. Never did see him, and was very surprised at that. In all the times I have been up GMR with him, have never seen him not make the top for any reason. When I got home I gave him a call just to make sure things were ok and he explained it was just one of those days. Said when i passed him where he was resting, he wasn't feeling too well. But he pushed on and got up to the half way point, and a little more before deciding he was REALLY not feeling well. So he turned around and called it a day. Smart person that knows when to say when. I learned that lesson a long time ago in mountain climbing. It will always be there another time.



No comments:
Post a Comment