Sunday, February 28, 2010

Feb. 24, 2010 Hiking to Henninger Flats

Up at the "Flats" Showing we made it The road up
Needed a ride after dropping my car off for some work, so I called Jim and hit him up for a hike up to Henninger Flats. Thought it was a good destination ,seeing how I hadn't been up there in probably 15 years or so at least. Met Jim, dropped off the car, and we headed up to the place I have probably spent more time at than any other in my mountain ramblings. Hike started out warmer than it appeared it would. Was peeling the parka off after a very warm mile or so. The view over the basin was clear out towards the beach, but hazy at the coast line, barely being able to see P. V. Peninsula. Catalina was a subject for discussion, as Jim said we couldn't see it and I said we could. I think we can to the agreement it was visible when just a little more haze burned off. Anyway, we hiked up to the Flats and were amazed at the Greenness of the place. It sure was nice up there, but for the time being, you are allowed day use only, no overnight camping. That is a shame, as now would be perfect up there.we checked out the visitor center, with about 15 others that were up there. That reminds me, we must have seen close to 50 people at the Flats and on the road either headed up or down, before the hike was over. Jim and I were both amazed seeing that many people out on a Wednesday morning. Checked out the upper campground, and the higher one called "camp Fuji". Nice views from these. we headed down, taking about the exact same amount of time to reach the car as it took us to do the hike up. headed to the Boat for an afternoon beer and burger, which of course hit the spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment