Tuesday, December 20, 2011

December 20, 2011 Henninger Flats for an over nighter

 Came upon this little guy on the way up.
 Sunset from the campground
The lights come out as the sun goes down. 
 My setup for the night, and it ended up being 
downhill.
The old St. Lukes hospital building. 



Got a later than expected start on a hike up to spend the night at Henninger Flats. Xmas gift buying was at the cause of the delay on my part. We finally started up the toll road about 2:30PM. Had thought when I left Glendora that it might be a cool hike up weather wise, so I wore long pants and long sleeved shirt. While I never really got hot on the way up, I definitely was not cold. Taking our time, we got up to the campground around 4:00 PM. Talked to the ranger guy, got the needed permit for spending the night, and then got some firewood so we could cook something up for dinner. Jim was able to get a roaring fire going inside the stove at our site, and we cooked up dinner, with Jim going all out with steak, while I slummed it with Vegi-burgers.Tasty, but not as much as what Jim was consuming. Seeing how it was cold, and the heat from the fire was managing to stay inside the stove, we had a couple cocktails, made a few drunk dialing phone calls, and called it an early night. Was up before the crack of dawn, watching the sunrise for the first time in a long while.It was peaceful with there being no other people on the lower campground. After heating up quasadias for breakfast, we left just in time to see a party of around 200 students of the senior class from PHS straggle up the road to the entrance. They just kept coming and coming. I made a joke to one of them about being the senior class, and it killed me when he said that was exactly what it was. Dang. After getting down to the cars, we decided to cap off the hike with lunch down at the boat, beer and all. Nice overnighter at a place I hadn't spent the night at in over 25 years at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment