Beanz at the Post Office after the "EASY"
half of the ride to the lifts.

The two of us at the Post Office trying to
decide if we really want to continue upward.
Beanz at the first tunnel, where the climbing
starts to get real.

Yours truly at the bottom of the lift.
Beanz shot at the bottom of lifts, proof that
he did it.

Best shot showing steepness of some of the
switchbacks we rode up.

Fred at the bottom of the climb.

At the Ice House Canyon split, where I asked
Beanz if he wanted to continue up. Funny that
the sign above his head got real bright, pointing
the way down the road, not up.
I had been trying to get
Beanz to try the lifts for some time. Seemed we never hit it just right when ever the chance presented its self, but that all changed on today's ride. After my screwing up and forgetting the key to the lock on my bike, we started an hour behind schedule. (Had to go home an get the key). We started off in heavy overcast, guess more like a fog than anything else. Once we topped out at the top of the damn though, we were in bright sunshine the rest of the day. And a hot one it would turn out to be. Getting through the tunnels wasn't too bad, but from there to the village seemed like the hardest part of the entire ride to me. Up, up, and up was all I saw every time I looked ahead of me on the road. The Post Office never looked so good to me as it did that morning. The next section, up to Ice House Canyon went a lot easier than I was expecting. Was only 1.7 miles and gained only 700 feet, not the thousand I thought it did. Anyway, we made that, and both
Beanz and I were happy to be there with still something left in both the legs and tank. Guess even I can surprise myself once in a while. Seeing how that point had been the intended destination for the day, I was a little surprised when
Beanz agreed to give a few of the switchbacks a try. We agreed upon going on till we didn't feel like going uphill anymore, and that would be an added bonus of already meeting our goal for the day. Well, just like I knew he would,
Beanz found the switchbacks hard, but not
undoable. We did 3 or 4 and stopped for some pictures, and then just kept going. We finally topped out after the 8
th or 9
th one, then took a short break by
Manker Flats. I needed it to get me up to the parking lot, with that final quarter mile of over 15% grade almost stopping my heart. Thought I was going to fall off the bike, but didn't.
Yee Haa. There it was, the big yellow sign welcoming you to Mt Baldy Ski Lifts. We made it. Boy howdy. We wound our way through the parking lot and up the last steep stretch to the ticket windows and it was over. Baldy lifts for the first time in, I am guessing here about 15 years maybe. I don't really remember. Now all that was left was staying upright for the 15 miles down a steep ass road back to the car. Incredible how slow going up and fast coming down. Can't wait to do it again.
I like that, "then just kept going". I didn't have a choice after you said, "I've come too far, I ain't turning back now" ha ha!
ReplyDeleteNice write up, pics, and RIDE!