Friday, June 1, 2012

June 1st, 2012- Rainier to Adamns and points in between

River bed from Emmons Glacier

Where I ate the biggest omelet I have ever seen

Wish we had had the time to try this place out

What I called the climbers shack on Adamns

Shot of Adamns after dinner in town




After spending a damp but not terrible night in the campground on the North side of the park, we made it to the ranger station early Friday morning. Spent some time discussing climbing conditions  and weather with the rangers. I am sorry to say we let them sway our opinion too much. One thing I have learned about high mountains, and knew it in this case also, is that you are never going to have perfect weather or weather predictions. If you are not willing to take off on a climb with weather looking less than favorable, you are going to miss out on a lot of climbs. It is said that high mountains create their own weather, and it can change from one minute to the next. The only thing to do is take off and react to what the conditions end up being, not what they might be. That being said, I have learned that Warren has a propensity to worry about weather way too much when he is in situations he is not familiar with, and it clouds his judgement at times. Whitney, Rainier, Adamns, and Hood. Had I been on those climbs with others a little more experienced in winter climbs, I think attempts would have been made on their summits. That being said, we saw a lot of Washington on this day as the roads needed to get from Rainier to Adamns were still mostly closed do to snow. We finally made it to Trout Lake though, and found the ranger station and our way up onto Adamns.

No comments:

Post a Comment