
Baldy from just above Peacock Saddle

The ocean with sunlight reflection on it

Gina and Fred at Newman's Point.

Taking it easy below first saddle

Baldy just beginning to peak out.
Got off work and thought about a ride on the way home, but man was I tired. Only saving grace was that it was a fantastic day out weather wise. But, tired, as I said. Was just laying down at the house when I got a text from Fred saying he and Gina were going to breakfast and then up GMR around 10:30 or so, and if I was interested, to meet them. Thought about it for all of 10 seconds and told him I would be there. Well, I hadn't been on the bike in 7 weeks, so heading up to the shack made me feel more like an old fart than normal. Took about half an hour of riding before I was glad I was doing it, but I was. We were taking our time on the way up, no need to hurry, when Annette and Bill came past us heading down. Annette turned and rode back up the hill a little ways with us before turning around to catch her husband. More slow and go and we finally made the shack. After hanging for a few, Fred said let's do Peacock, or at least Fork plus 4 as Annette calls the highpoint just before heading down into Peacock. Seeing how I needed the exercise, I said what the heck. Gina waited at the shack, then met us at the wall at the top of GMR when Fred and I returned. While recouping, as usual, a bunch of riders Fred and Gina knew came by and stopped for a while. Nice, interesting people. A group of 3 that did GMR to Crystal Lake and back, and a solo guy that did the village twice and ended back at the top of GMR a third time that evening. the guy looked strong every time I saw him Saturday. You would never have known he ended up doing 115 miles with over 14,000 feet of climbing. Training for a double century in Death Valley he said. That should be a piece of cake after what he did Saturday on GMR. On our way down we were stopped by one of the 3 guys that did CL having an accident . He went down hard and was tore up pretty good. Fred went down and got his truck so he could drive the guy to Puddingstone, which is were they started their ride from. Hope he turned out ok. will have to find out later from Fred.

Hillbasher
ReplyDeleteFork Plus Four is also known as "The Point of No Return". I suppose this is because once you head down to Peacock Saddle you might as well go alot further.
Good you are back on the bike!
GMR