Tuesday, July 27, 2010

July 21, 2010 Wrightwood/Buckhorn/Highway 39

Highway 39 from Jarvi Memorial Buckhorn campground
Desert from East side of Dawson Saddle
Up by Inspiration Point
Steve was nice enough to drive me up to Wrightwood and take my car back to his house so I could have an easy (that is relative) time riding back to Glendora. Left Jenson's Market just before 9 AM. Right off the bat, the altitude got to me. Riding at 6,000 feet straight out of the car is something that takes getting used to. Made the 5.5 mile uphill to Inspiration Point without passing out. The steep part by Big Pines Visitor Center was a bitch. After I. P., the downhill to Vincent Gap went all to fast. From there it was a 5 mile uphill to Dawson, and then 5 down to Islip Saddle. Thought about calling it a day right there, but Steve had sort of shamed me into going out to at least as far as Buckhorn, which I was glad I did. Lots of up and down to the campground, but really enjoyable. Had lunch there and then headed back to 39 for the main part of the ride, going down 39. The first 10 miles took me almost an hour as I was taking pictures about every 3oo feet or so. Finally put the camera away at the springs by the cabins below Crystal Lake and started to ride. Mad it home about 3:30PM. Great ride, with fantastic weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment